Monday, January 15, 2007

Bayonics -- San Francisco's Best Band




THERE ARE many bands that describe themselves by the term "fusion." Most play jazz with a half-assed funk baseline.

It's no accident that a fusion band in the TRUEST sense of the term hails from San Francisco, the city known around the world as a beacon to diversity, creative minds, big hearts.

The Bayonics are not just the best fusion band in the San Francisco Bay Area -- they are the best band, period. Combining salsa, funk, rap, R&B, soul, and jazz with an authentic edge and pulsating groove, the Bayonics are bound to return San Francisco to its glory days as the center of the cultural universe.

In the City's jam-packed clubs, the gritty fusion unleashed by the Bayonics will move you -- ladies bring an extra bra, gents, two shirts cause you're gonna dance your ass off.

Once you've seen a show you'll know this is the nation's next great band.

Check them out at: http://www.bayonics.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I gotta hand it to Bayonics. I've seen these fellas play about half a dozen times, In the Bay and in L.A. my hometown. And every single time, I could not stand still for a second. First my toes start tappin', then my knees bouncin' and before you know it, I'm busting out the old family party salsa moves I learned as a kid, with a colgate smile. So much for trying to play it cool when Bayonics are jamming.

Just to compare for a second, I remember when Ozomatli entered the music scene in the late nineties, and I was amazed and the cultural diversity and the "fusion" of different sounds. And felt a sense of pride because they were from East L.A. & I felt that L.A. had a new defining sound. Ozomatli has a mix of Chicanos, African-Americans, Asian and Europeans playing a mix of Salsa, Cumbia and Hip-Hop.

When I first heard Bayonics, I tripped out because I thought that the new L.A. sound had hit other major cities, then someone gave me a reality check and told me that this new sound is organically happening in major cities, coming straight out of working class neighborhoods where the population reflects the diversity in cultures and musical taste. It felt good to hear a sound that different cultures could feel and move to.

In my opinion, Bayonics surpasses the Ozomatli sound by adding to the already crazy mix of music, some Funk, Soul and Jazz. I look forward to seeing Bayonics play as much as I can, and following the groups evolution as musicians, and as a group of Real brothers from our neighborhoods.

-Paco